Maternity, paternity and parental rights
Employees have significant rights in relation to maternity, paternity and parental rights. For instance:
- Women who are pregnant are entitled to ordinary maternity leave, additional maternity leave and maternity pay, as are fathers (under a different scheme). There is a similar scheme in relation to adoptive parents.
- In addition both the woman, the spouse, partner or civil partner have the right to take up to 18 weeks of unpaid parental leave.
- Employees are also entitled to take a “reasonable mount” of unpaid time off to deal with emergency situations facing their dependents.
- Certain employees also have the right to request flexible working.
- Women are of course, protected from discrimination on grounds of pregnancy or maternity.
The rules relating to such rights are complex. Our lawyers can advise both businesses and individuals on the law surrounding such rights.