The law protects employees, workers and the self-employed from being discriminated against because of any protected characteristic. We provide advice on all forms of discrimination: age, disability, sex, race, sexuality, and religion as well as advice on discrimination arising out of gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy.
Discrimination claims can occur at any stage – including before, during and after employment. For example, job advertisements and interview questions could be discriminatory, as could conduct during employment, the reason for a dismissal or any work-related matters after the end of employment.
Discrimination is a tricky area for employers, not least because there are a number of different types of discrimination.
Do you need a discrimination lawyer?
- If you are an employeeand you think you have been discriminated against, take a look at our employment tribunal representation
- If you are an employerand an employee is making allegations of discrimination against you in the employment tribunal, take a look at the employment tribunal defence
What can an organisation do to protect itself from discrimination claims?
- The implementation of clear equal opportunities policies.
- The provision of equal opportunities training, particularly to managers and supervisors.
- Careful monitoring and control of ‘banter’ and ‘horseplay’ at work.
- Effective and well-run grievance and bullying complaint procedures.
- Equal opportunities monitoring – but take advice on this.
- High profile support on equal opportunities at the highest level.
What we can do for you
For employees, we understand how upsetting it can be where you believe you have been discriminated against by your employer. In these situations, it is important to seek advice from an expert lawyer who will explain this complex area of the law to you in clear terms and set out all your options. At Ironmonger Curtis, our workplace discrimination lawyers have represented many clients in discrimination matters. We can help you get the best possible result, whether by negotiation, mediation or litigation. You can rest assured that your best interests are integral to any advice we provide.
If you are an employer facing a discrimination claim from an employee, you will require the expertise of a discrimination professional who can protect you and your business from harm, including financial loss and reputational damage. We are fully aware of how important it is that these situations are dealt with efficiently. Our lawyers will work quickly and effectively to get you the most favourable outcome.
Contact our Workplace Discrimination Solicitors Sheffield
Ironmonger Curtis is the only dedicated commercial law firm in Sheffield. Our lawyers provide the full range of commercial law services, including employment law. We regularly advise and represent individuals and business clients in Sheffield, Rotherham, Chesterfield, Barnsley, Dronfield and further afield on workplace discrimination matters. As well as our sole focus on commercial law, what sets us apart from our competitors is our highly personal approach. We take the time to fully understand your situation so we can provide you with a bespoke legal strategy.
If you require specialist legal advice for a workplace discrimination issue, call us on 0845 225 2635 or fill in our online contact form and we will get back to you without delay.
ACAS produce some useful guides
Other sites to check out are: