Performance management advice
Performance management can be one of the most tricky challenges an employer can face. Employees who are performing below the required standard need managing carefully: and its is important to understand the reasons why an individual employee may not be performing. For instance is a disability at play? Or is workplace stress taking its toll? Is the employee simply bored and needs challenging?
At Ironmonger Curtis we are experts at employee relations. Where you have an employee who is not performing we can advise you on the correct procedures you should take in order to bring about improvement.
If you are looking for general advice on performance management, take a look at the relevant page in our employment law knowledge bank.
How can our employment solicitors help?
- Firstly we would help you investigate the issues so that you have a clear idea – and clear evidence – of the poor performance. This may involve a simple statement from the employee’s manager or it might involve a complex set of documents and numerous witness statements, depending on the seniority of the employee and the complexity of the issues involved.
- Secondly we would invite the employee to provide evidence. This might be by way of an investigatory hearing or by way of written representation. In simple cases this step may not be necessary
- We will help you invite the employee to a hearing and ensure that the legalities are properly complied with. For instance, it is critical to not only identify the specific poor performance but also to set out in detail the ways in which the employee is expected to improve and the timeframes set. It is also good to set a review period.
- We can either advise you on how to run the hearing, or we can sit with you while the hearing proceeds. We can chair the hearing and ensure that it proceeds in a professional and productive manner.
- Finally, we can advise you on follow up and any appeals that may result.